One of the most talented and successful rapper/producers in history, Missy Elliott (born Melissa Arnette Elliott) did not take the road well-traveled throughout her lengthy and storied career. She wore yellow garbage bags for her debut music video, “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly).” She could out-rhyme just about any MC, whether male or female, with such lines like “Don’t I look like a Halle Berry poster/See the Belvedere playin’ tricks on you.” For her more recent song “WTF (Where They From)”—her first song in almost a decade, she did not miss a beat. Missy managed to put posers like Miley Cyrus in their place, prove to skeptics that she was still relevant (thanks to a hypnotic music video featuring marionettes), and after over two decades in the business, show the world how a confident woman in music could do what she wanted without compromises.
Let’s celebrate the birth of this cutting-edge supa dupa fly MC by hitting shuffle on your MP3 player and see what the first 10 songs appear...
1. “Jukebox” by Kidz in the Hall
2. “Break On Through (To The Other Side)" by The Doors
3. “Who Needs You" by The Orwells
4. “Jams Run Free" by Sonic Youth
5. “Fame" by David Bowie
6. “One In A Million” by Aaliyah. Missy Elliott produced this song for Aaliyah’s second album, released in 1996.
7. “Gold” by Kiiara
8. “Son of Sam (Acoustic)" by Elliott Smith
9. “Rocket” by Beyonce. Missy Elliott produced a song (“Get On The Bus”) for Destiny’s Child self-titled album.
10. “Cold Rock A Party” by MC Lyte. Missy Elliott is a featured artist (she appears about a minute into) in one of the first songs where she showcases her talent.